Are you looking for online courses?
Well, good for you! Online courses are in high demand these days because they’re easier to watch and, usually, way cheaper. If you’re looking for a place to find online courses, you may have heard about Udemy.
Do you wonder if it’s worth it? Well, let’s see!
What is Udemy?
In case, you haven’t heard of it before, Udemy is an online platform that offers a lot of training – and when I say a lot, I mean, a lot.
The main categories are these:
- Development (e.g. Web Development, Mobile Apps, Game Development, E-Commerce)
- Business (e.g. Finance, Entrepreneurship, Management, HR, Home Business)
- Finance & Accounting (e.g. Accounting, Economics, Taxes, Cryptocurrency)
- IT & Software (e.g. Network & Security, Hardware, Operating Systems)
- Office Productivity (e.g. Microsoft Office, SAP, Oracle)
- Personal Development (e.g. Productivity, Career Development, Stress Management, Creativity)
- Design (e.g. Web Design, Graphic Design, UX, 3D & Animation, Fashion)
- Marketing (e.g. SEO, Digital Marketing, PR, Advertising, Affiliate Marketing)
- Lifestyle (e.g. Travel, Gaming, Pet Care, Beauty & Makeup, Arts & Crafts)
- Photography (e.g. Digital Photography, Commercial Photography, Video Design, Photography Tools)
- Health & Fitness (e.g.Sports, Nutrition, Self Defence, Dance, Meditation, Mental Health)
- Music (e.g. Instruments, Production, Vocal, Music Techniques, Music Software)
- Teaching & Academics (e.g. Engineering, Math, Science, Language, Humanities)
Why Should You Give It A Chance?
There are a lot of reasons to give it a chance. Let’s name a few:
- There are thousands of courses, so you’ll definitely find something you like.
- They’re online courses, so you can watch them wherever you want.
- You can watch them at your own pace.
- You can watch them as many times as you need to understand fully the lessons.
- You get lifetime access to the courses.
- There is a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you realise the course you got is not for you, you can get your money back.
How Udemy Works
Ok, let’s see how the system works.
Under the video lesson, there is an overview of the course, a Q&A area, a bookmarks area and the announcements.
Εach course is divided into sections and each section into lessons. After each lesson, you should watch the next one. You have the choice to watch them in the order you prefer – the lessons aren’t locked – but I recommend you to watch them in the order the instructor set. Otherwise, you may get confused.
Sometimes, the instructors leave small assignments so you can practise along the course or quizzes so you can see if you’ve learned what you’ve just watched.
When It’s The Best Time To Get Courses
Udemy has a lot of sales around the year so you can get most courses for $10-$20. Even if there’s not a discount when you want to get a course, you can find coupons online. So don’t buy a course at full price!
There are a few Udemy groups on social media where people upload promo codes and links to courses you can get for free – or for free for a short amount of time. Check them out daily and you’ll probably find something you like for free.
Pros & Cons
Let’s see the full Pros & Cons list:
- It’s pretty low-cost.
- There are a lot of hours in courses, so you get your money’s worth.
- You can watch them at your own pace.
- Updates: Some courses get updated regularly.
- Reviews & Ratings: There is a review and rating system, so you can get an idea if a course is good.
- 30-day Money-Back Guarantee: In case the course isn’t what you expected, you can get a refund if you bought the course on the Udemy website. Check out more about refunds.
- Lifetime Access: Buying a course gives you lifetime access on it. Check out more details on Udemy’s Lifetime Access.
- You can watch the courses as many times as you want.
- Lots of Discounts: Usually, you don’t have to pay for more than $15 for a course.
- There is a Cost: Well, usually. Sometimes, you can find courses for free for a certain amount of time.
- You need Self-Discipline. It’s an online course and no one will tell you that you have to finish now. The upside here is that you can do it at your own pace, but the downside is that you may get it and leave it without watching it – even if it’s a great one. Especially, if you got it for $12, you won’t care that much even if you love the subject.
- You Don’t Know the Instructor. Unless you’ve heard about the instructor before, you can’t know how good the instructor is, what are their credentials and how much they actually know about the subject. That’s where the reviews come in handy. So before getting a course, check out the reviews!
Is Udemy Worth it?
Yes, it’s definitely worth it! The pros far outweigh the cons. But to make sure you get the most of it, here are a few things to have in mind:
- Check out offers on social media.
- Buy on sales.
- Check out the reviews before getting a course.
- Set time aside every day. Find some time every day to watch the training you bought. Since they’re cheap (for the quality offered) and we pay once, we tend to forget sometimes that we bought them!
Check out Udemy today to see if there are any discounts on courses you like. If not, add it to the cart and wait until there is one, or even better, check out online to see if there are any promo codes going around now.
Let me know what you think about Udemy and, if you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer! Any suggestions are always welcome, so tell me about topics you’d like me to write.
And if you like learning from home, you may like working from home, as well. Check out the pros and cons of working at home!
See you next time!