Writing without distractions? Check!
I used to have a problem with focusing on writing and that’s why I looked for ways to write without distractions. While searching, I came across this awesome tool.
Calmly Writer is a free online tool you can use to write distraction-free. It helped me a lot with writing and today I want to share it with you.
Let’s see the main features:
You can use basic formatting on your text:
- H tags
- Unordered Lists
- Ordered Lists
Toggle Full Screen
I always have it on full screen when I write so I don’t see the rest of my browser.
I’ll talk to you a little bit about the most important preferences. Feel free to check out the rest of them, too! 🙂
- Focus Mode
Focus Mode will help you focus on the paragraph you’re currently writing.
- Dark Mode
Dark mode reverses the background and font colours, making the background dark. I have this enabled permanently because it’s better for the eyes.
* I’m thinking about setting a dark mode for my site, too. I like it that much!
- Font Size
For people that have problems with their eyes, a bigger font will be easier to read.
- Smart Punctuation
Autocapitalization is a handy setting. After a period, the next letter becomes a capital one.
- Pop-Up Toolbar: The toolbar for the basic formatting.
- You can start a bulleted list by typing * and then space, and the asterisk becomes a bullet.
- You can start an ordered list with 1. Don’t forget the period after the number 1.
- You can enable a typewriter sound that you hear after typing a letter.
I don’t know why anyone would want that, it’s annoying after a while. Still, it’s cool to check out.
- Opendyslexic Mode: If you’re dyslexic, you can use an easier-to-read font.
- Free Grammar Checker
There is a link for Grammarly, where you can check your text for any grammar and spelling mistakes for free.
- Ctrl -: Zoom out to see all your text (you can cancel the zoom out by clicking on the text)
- Ctrl U: To get the HTML code
- Ctrl B: Bold
- Ctrl I: Italic
- Ctrl Z: Undo
- Ctrl Shift Z: Redo
- Ctrl V: Paste
Check out the rest of the shortcuts on Calmly Online.
- #text: h1 tag
- ##text: h2 tag
- ###text: h3 tag
- ***italic and bold***
- * : bulleted list
- 1. : ordered list
Word Counter & Reading Time
There is a word counter at the bottom of the menu and if you check “Word Counter Always Visible” on Preferences, you can also see it at the bottom right while writing.
The same applies for reading time.
- Save your documents regularly. The program autosaves what you write, but also what you erase. Make regular backups to not have any disasters.
- Set up your preferences the first time you use the program. It’ll make your writing easier.
I definitely recommend Calmly Writer if you want to write without distractions. It’s a great tool you can use for writing.
I wouldn’t recommend it for formatting, though, because it has few options, so it’d be better to write your text on Calmly Writer and then transfer it to your editor for formatting.
Let me know what you think about Calmly Writer and, if you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer! Any suggestions are always welcome, so tell me about topics you’d like me to write.
And if you liked this, check out more tips on avoiding distractions while writing.
See you next time!