Now, it’s time to build our site. For now, let’s build it on a free domain, but later, we want to get a domain of our own. That’s why we wanted the .com domain available.
But just in case we change our mind, we’ll start with a free domain.
Building my blog
I’ll build my blog on Wealthy Affiliate since I already have an account there and the hosting is great. (Wealthy Affiliate is a training platform for people who want to start their online business.)
You can sign in to get a free domain – without giving any personal information or a credit card – but if you have another hosting platform you like, you can build your site there, as well.
After joining in (I’ve written a review for Wealthy Affiliate – if you need instructions or more information for it, check it out), it’ll take only a minute to build your site.
- Go to Websites on the left menu and then click on Site Manager.
- Click on Build a New Website.
- Choose to build your site on a Free Domain.
- Enter your domain name.
- Enter the title of your site. (It’s usually the same.)
- The last step is choosing your theme. The default theme – and the one we’ll use – is GeneratePress. You can change it later, but it’s a great theme with a lot of options to customise it however you want, so we’ll probably stick to it.
- BUILD YOUR SITE!
You can log in to your site clicking on Login Now. You’ll get redirected to your dashboard – that’s where the magic happens. To see your site as a reader does, you can click on the title on the top left of your screen.